Sunday, October 19, 2014

October 19, 2014: Surprise...extra MTC letter!

Well mom that little stuffy nose you warned me about.... I got it. When I got that letter I was feeling completely fine, but for the past few days I have been a little sick. I think you sent it with the letter. Oh well I guess it was inevitable. Now let’s just hope I don't get chikungunya *fingers crossed*.  I lied when I said I only got to write home once. We were given permission from our branch president to write today since we will miss our p-day this next week! (Three cheers to that!!)

     I think I forgot to tell you that Sister Wood and I were called as zone sister training leaders in the last letter. Probably because it doesn't really mean anything while you are in the MTC, and because my MTC stay is so short. Well we got to carry a cell phone around all the time (We would pretend to call people on it all the time...lol we are hilarious). We also were able to give the incoming elders and sisters a little orientation to the MTC. It was kind of weird because at the time we had only been here for a week, but there we were teaching the ways of the MTC.

     I love Sister Wood. I think we have more fun here than anyone else. We laugh all the time. I am really grateful for that, it takes off a lot of stress. We are also constantly doing that thing the boys in "things mormons say". Ya know where they whistle I am a Child of God and they use the pitch hand. We sing and hum and whistle all the time. Anyways we have fun here.

     On Friday we had our In-field orientation. Or in other words, nine hours of motivational speakers and missionary related activities. It was long as can be, but Elder Christensen from the District came and taught us. I felt like I was meeting someone famous. He looks different in regular clothes...The funniest part of the orientation was one of the ladies was talking to us about goals and planning and she goes,
WHEN I SAY PLANNING YOU SAY GOALS!
Oh man it reminded me of that amazing day up in the mountains.
WHEN I SAY CUTIE YOU SAY PIE
WHEN I SAY BEST DAY YOU SAY EVER
WHEN I SAY JAMAICA YOU SAY KINGSTON
I think one of the most important things I learned during that orientation was the importance of missionaries working with members. MEMBERS ARE THE KEY! Seriously. Mom and Dad you already gave me this talk, but this really hit it home for me. I made the goal to build trust with members and use them as resources as much as possible on my mission.

     I had my last lessons with Sister Wood on Saturday. We committed George (Brother Crosby) to baptism and taught him about the gifts of the Holy Ghost and of eternal life. I am really learning to teach by the spirit. I can always tell the difference of when we teach from the spirit then when we teach from our own knowledge. We also taught Melissa for the last time. I loved teaching George right from the start, but with Melissa it was harder. It wasn't until our third lesson with her that this overwhelming love for her came over me. I really care for her and I really appreciate all she taught me through our lessons with her. It's funny because I thought that after I said goodbye to all my friends and family from home I would be done with goodbyes for the next year and a half. What in the world was I thinking?? I almost cried saying goodbye to Melissa because who knows if I will ever see her again. Sister Wood leaves tomorrow and I know I am going to cry. UGG why do I get so attached? I can tell it is going to be hard for me to leave areas in my mission. Good thing I don't have to worry about that right now.

     So you know those mint brownies you sent me? Well the day I picked up the package Sister Wood and I sat in the courtyard and ate one (they were delicious, thank you). I decided that there was no way I was going to be able to eat all of them before I left and I wanted to share with people outside my zone. As we sat on the bench we looked for people who seemed like they would really appreciate some homemade mint brownies. This group of elders walked by and I offered them the brownies. They were so excited and they popped them open and ate them as we talked. They absolutely loved them (how could you not?) . It was so fun the hear them talk about the brownies. Also now whenever we see them around they yell, "BROWNIE SISTERS"!!!

     Well I just want to say thank you to everyone who has sent me letters and packages. It has been such a comfort. Especially since most of the packages contained cookies and candy. I love hearing from home.

     I love you all! Thank you so much for your encouraging and uplifting words.

Love,
Sister Tuttle

No comments:

Post a Comment