Monday, November 10, 2014

November 10, 2014 - Everything But Normal

I heart the pineapples here!

FAMILY AND FRIENDS,
I am filled with so much joy and love that I am almost brought to tears right here in the internet cafe. I am so grateful for all the kind and uplifting words. I just absolutely love hearing from all of you lovely people.
Can you believe it?? I have been out for a whole month. Is my ipod broken yet? I received Grandma Tuttle's letter that she wrote in October. In it she wrote, in two weeks you will have 17 months to go. I seriously had to laugh out loud. I love you Grandma! Time is a weird thing here. The days don't necessarily feel long, but when I look back on a day it feels like the shortest day ever. And that is how it goes every day.
One word: Dominos

Sister Rampersad and I decided to go to Dominos for lunch. Best. Decision. Ever. Made. I kid you not I was so happy sitting there eating cheese pizza. It felt like America, and it smelled like America. I decided we will be going back regularly.  We also decided to switch internet cafes. This one is a little more expensive, but hopefully it will load pictures faster.
I have some bad news.....All my pictures from my mission up to this point were deleted last Monday. I was on the verge of tears for probably an hour. Oh well, I told myself that it had to happen at least once on my mission. I have now vowed to save pics on my USB every week now. I am just glad I was able to send a lot home a few weeks ago. And to make up for it I have been taking a lot of pictures.
My first (and probably last) coconut. It was a little nasty. 

I also have some really good news... Actually it's a story. We got a referral from the other sisters in this area. His name is Evard. Evard? I know I still have trouble saying it. Anyways we met for the first time last Tuesday. OH MAN! This man is so prepared to hear this gospel! He said things like I have been searching for a church that I will feel is the true church, and as we continue to meet you will get to know me and my trials more. As we were sitting in the lesson I was just imagining him as a worthy priesthood holder. We met with him the next Thursday and taught him the restoration of the gospel. We gave him a Book of Mormon and invited him to read and pray about the things we are teaching him. He was so receptive. He came to church yesterday. In gospel principles we learned about temples and family history. I was worried because he hasn't even had the plan of salvation lesson, but it was soooooo good! He was really interested and was asking a lot of questions. We can't see him until Thursday this week, but I cannot wait! I realized why I love teaching him so much. It's because he is my first real investigator that I am starting from the very beginning. Oh I love this work so much!
 The other day we helped an investigator with her wash. Hand wash. Outside. It's hot in Jamaica. I am really grateful for a washing machine in our apartment.
Dad, I received the email with the picture of the breadfruit, but I haven't tried it yet. I guess I am kind of on my own with the whole cultural aspect of my mission. Sister Rampersad teaches me a lot about how to be a good missionary, but I am the one forcing cultural immersion. Instead of going to the grocery store last week for produce I insisted we go to the market. It was amazing! I love the market. All these people yelling at you to buy their fruit that is the same price as their neighbor. It was incredible. We are going again this week, and I will keep an eye out for breadfruit. Although I haven't had breadfruit I am still obsessed with Jamaican fruit. Namely pineapples and bananas. We have a blender in our apartment and I have started making smoothies on a regular basis. I am so happy.
The other night I had a dream that I was grocery shopping with mom at Dick's. It was so normal and clean. I woke up and I was so happy. That is honestly the best dream I have ever had in my life. Even better than dreams that involve Harry Potter. Hahaha sometimes I miss normalcy and clean streets. Oh well, it's always an adventure here.
Oh Jaydeen, YOU BETTER NOT TOUCH ME!

I am really working hard with being friends with the members. I think it's working. Sister McClaren (a long time member) told me I was cool. YA! I will keep working on that.
People in Jamaica have the worst excuses for everything. We have one investigator that hasn't come to church in a while. When we asked her why she didn't come one particular Sunday she told us that when she was ironing her clothes to come to church she burned them.... I seriously had to hold back my laughter. The funniest part was, when we saw her she was wearing a perfectly unburned skirt. Oh well, we will keep trying!
In the middle is the beloved Munchie, Munch for short. Also, Sunday was scarf day. Notice that all the scarves were mine . . .

Mom, I know you think that you are too young to be a grandma, but if you lived in Jamaica you would be an old grandma. One lady we are teaching is 37 and she has a 5 month old grandbaby. I don't know, I thought that would make you feel better.
May Pen is hot. It is hot. It is hot. And the showers are cold and occasionally non existent. You would think that you would welcome a cold shower after hours in the hot Jamaican sun, but no. no. no. no. no. no. However I do love the rain. The rain is so good. And to answer your question dad,  I just wear what I normally wear in the rain. Reason being is I never know if it is going to rain or not. Jamaica is more bipolar than Utah.
Chrissy

Lol it's all good here. I love all you normal people with all my hearts. Thanks again for all the letters and emails. Keep them coming. Send pictures. Send simple recipes and ideas for dinner. I love you. I love you. I love you.
With all the love in the whole wide universe,
Sister Tuttle

No comments:

Post a Comment