Monday, October 19, 2015

October 19, 2015

Trade-offs with Sister Pace

Yesterday Sister Robinson told me that this past week was the hardest of her mission so far. She has been out for 5 months so I guess that is saying something.

I guess it started out with the fact that we have no one to come teaching with us. Do you know how hard it is to see half of your investigators when you don't speak the same language and you don't have a translator?? It is hard. We have been doing a lot of missionary work alone. It is hard and the results are sllloooooowww. On Wednesday we were to have a member come translate a few lessons for us. When it came to the time she wasn't answering her phone and she wasn't even home! UUGGGHHH! I turned to Sister Robinson and told her we were going to the appointment anyways. Yes. Yes. Yes. We taught a whole lesson in creole with no translator. We pretty much just had the investigator read from the restoration pamphlet the whole time, but hey! It is better than nothing. We did it again Sunday night with Augustin. It was actually one of the best lessons we have ever had with him. I was reading Moroni 7:37-48 out of the Creole Book of Mormon and we were all laughing.

Ironing for Sammy

I have this thing that I have never told you people before... Here it is... I don't like to share stories of my own investigators because every time I get excited about someone, they disappear. Anyways, I can share this story because even though I didn't tell you about them, they still disappeared. Sister Rob and I met these two young men named Chandon and Javin while knocking on doors one day. Chandon and Javin are best friends. They remind me of me with my friends back home. Chandon was a golden investigator. He fell in love with the gospel the minute he heard it. He read and understood, he loved the lessons and he loved church. Whenever we would go over to see him he would refer to the church as his own. He would say things like "This is my church". You should have seen this mans face when we gave him the Book of Mormon. He was so serious and he said "I am going to cherish this book". He was pretty much already a member. He was the kind of investigator that every missionary hopes for. Javin wasn't quite as interested, but I didn't really worry about him because I felt like he would eventually follow Chandons example. In my mind they were going to get baptized together and serve missions and have an awesome life as a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. We had a lesson with them Tuesday evening and everything was normal. We set up another appointment for Thursday, but when the day came they didn't answer their phones.  We stopped by Chandon's house but no one was home. Friday I had trade-offs with the sisters. I went with Sister Pace into their area. Sister Rob tried to see Chandon and Javin with Sister Lynn, but the same thing happened. I guess later in the evening Javin called Sister Rob and told her that he was going back to his old church. A few minutes later Chandon called and said the exact same thing. When I heard the news I was literally heartbroken. It felt the same as when Seaga left for Abacco. Sad. It is just so horrible to love and hope for people. It weighed on my mind for a few days, but I think I am over it.

It rained every day this week. EVERY DAY. Not just a nice little drizzle that cools everything down. It was a down pour every day. Even Sunday. And you know Caribbean people do not leave their houses if the rain is falling. Needless to say there were not many people at church.

Rivers in the streets

We went to Red Cross the other day hoping to offer our serves to the hurricane relief efforts. When we got there they told us they were pretty much done for the day. I think they felt bad that we had made the effort to go all the way down there so they let us count water bottles....

Some one was spreading a rumor about Sister Rob and me. It was horrible and it made me cry. People can be horrible you know. I kept telling Sister Rob that we knew it wasn't true and God knew it wasn't true. It still hurt.

There is this hilarious song you all need to listen to. It is this gospel song called I Luh God. Look it up on youtube and laugh.

This is a new week and I am looking forward to a fresh start. We are going to new places and we are going to meet new people. I am excited.

I hope you all have a good week!
I love you sooo much!
Love,
Sister Tuttle

No comments:

Post a Comment